HOW TO SWITCH TO SAFER SKINCARE (+ BEAUTY, BODY, HOME PRODUCTS)
If you've read about my skincare story, you know that I used a ton of harsh chemicals on my skin when I was younger in my effort to clear it up. I wanted to use makeup, but wasn't quite sure how to differentiate between all of the ingredients with crazy-sounding names. My dad, a chemist, always joked that he could make me the same things in his lab.
That was probably a good indicator that it wasn't great for me, but I continued anyway.
My mom taught me how to take care of my skin and put natural ingredients on it, but it wasn't until I began following a Paleo lifestyle and learning more about natural products that I really began to make the switch.
There are a ton of different labels. Non-toxic, natural, organic, green, dermatologist-approved... the list goes on and on. It's similar to the food industry.
A lot of it's all marketing. There is some overlap, but overall what matters most to me is transparency.
That's why I've joined as a Beautycounter consultant — to help people find better beauty (and skincare, home, and body) products that you know you can trust.
To be perfectly honest, I was very skeptical at first. I love trying new products (you won't believe how much time and money I've spent at Sephora in my high school days, and now Follain or online), but with such sensitive skin, I'm hesitant to put anything on my skin.
Someone sent me a sample of the charcoal bar and it was magical. I've tried a multitude of different Beautycounter products, and all in all, I actually prefer non-Beautycounter products for my skin, but for makeup, Beautycounter my go-to trustworthy source.
Have fun with your products. Explore. Do your research. Experiment. But overall, my philosophy is to invest in products you believe in and love. A little goes a long way, and it'll give you a skincare routine that you'll absolutely love doing (mine is so therapeautic!).
Keep reading for all my favorite "safer" products! (I like to call it "safer" products because they don't contain PEGs, sulfates, parabens, etc.)
- Light Moisturizer: OSEA Blemish Clearing Moisturizer
- Luxe Moisturizer: May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon
- Masks: Indie Lee Clearing Mask, Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask, Beautycounter No. 3 Balancing Facial Mask
- Cleanser: Farmaesthetics Fine Herbal Cleanser, Maria Ackerberg Clearing Face Wash, Beautycounter Charcoal Cleansing Bar
- Exfoliant: Maria Ackerberg AHA & Jojoba, Marie Ackerberg Peeling Papaya Scrub
- Face Oil: Maria Ackerberg Clearing Facial Oil, Beautycounter No. 3 Balancing Facial Oil
- Toner: Thayer's Witch Hazel, Maria Ackerberg Neroli Face Mist
- Eye Cream: ((looking for recs!!!!))
- Sunscreen (Face): Beautycounter Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist SPF 30 (this is the only sunscreen I like for using on my face AND body)
- Body Wash / Soap: Nutty Life Organic Bar Soap, The Seaweed Bath Co. Soap, Dr. Bronner's
- Body Scrub: The Seaweed Bath Co. Scrub, Trader Joe's Lavender Scrub
- Deodorant: Schmidt's Natural Deodorant, Nutty Life Organic Deodorant, JASON Spray Deodorant
- Perfume: Inkling Forest Whisper or an essential oil mix with jojoba oil/coconut oil
- Moisturizer: Nutty Life Organic Body Butter, Organic Bath Co. Body Butter
- Sunscreen (Body): Beautycounter Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist SPF 30
- Redness Corrector/BB Cream: DR. JART+ Cicapair ™ Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 (I use this in place of foundation most days and under foundation if I want extra coverage)
- Foundation (Powder): bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 (I've been using this since high school! Now I use it only in the summer)
- Foundation (Liquid): Beautycounter Tint Skin Hydrating Foundation (I use this for spring, fall, winter)
- Eyebrows: Glossier Boy Brow (more natural look), Beautycounter Color Define Brow Pencil (more precise/put-together look)
- Eyeliner: Beautycounter Color Outline Eye Pencil
- Blush: Beautycounter Powder Blush Duo
- Lips: Nutty Life Lip Balm (literally just 3 ingredients!), FRESH Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 (I use Sugar Berry Tinted for fall/winter, Sugar Rosé Tinted for a year-round every day color, Sugar Coral Tinted for summer), Beautycounter Lip Gloss (Peony is the most natural color for me)
- Makeup Remover: I actually have a multi-step process because I get paranoid about my makeup removal (Beautycounter One-Step Makeup Remover Wipes, Cocokind Organic Cleansing Oil or organic coconut oil on a cotton pad, Clarisonic with foaming face wash — link above)
- Shampoo + Conditioner: Maple Holistics Tea Tree Set, The Seaweed Bath Co. Set
- Hair Mask: Pacifica Beauty Coconut Super Power Deep Conditioning Damage Control Mask
- Hair Treatment: Living Proof Night Cap
- Extra Moisturizer: Coconut oil (you can add some essential oils to make it smell a certain way!)
- Dry Shampoo: Captain Blankenship Organic Mermaid Dry Shampoo
- Laundry Detergent: Molly's Suds All Sport Laundry Wash (great for smelly workout clothes!), Eco Nuts Organic Laundry Detergent Fragrance-Free (good for fragrance sensitivity), Method Fragrance Booster (as a bonus to make clothes smell good!)
- Dryer Sheets: Eco Nuts Wool Dryer Balls, Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day® Dryer Sheets
- Dishwashing Soap: Method Dish Soap (eco/budget-friendly tip: reuse an old soap bottle and buy the refill pouches!)
- Cleaners: Seventh Generation All Purpose Cleaner, Better Life Cleaning Wipes
- Air Fresheners: Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day® Soy Candle, GrabGreen Room and Fabric Freshener, Essential Oil Diffuser with Essential Oils
Disclaimer: This post may contain some affiliate links (not all! But everything is linked to help you out). It does not change the price of the product you purchase and proceeds go towards running and maintaining this blog. Thanks in advance for your support!
If you want to try any sample Beautycounter products, learn more via call/Skype/coffee chat/email, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!