3 days in Austin + wellness retreat recap
Hey y'all — I'm writing this as I lay virtually immobile on the couch in Tahoe — the past 24 hours have seen me sick AF from a nasty summer flu. Pretty bummed that I'm spending my vacation as a invalid, but at least it means I get to do some catching up on blog posts!
Anyway, my fault for booking 2 very back to back trips and trying to get a handle on stress-management at the same time. I missed traveling, but oh boy does it take a toll on my body!
Earlier this month, I was in Austin, TX for Christina Rice's Wellness Realness Retreat — it was awesome to meet a great group of ladies and go to Austin for the first time. Here's what I packed for a long weekend in Austin + a quick recap of all the eats:
Clothes + Other
- 2 pairs of Lululemon Align leggings (my favorite for working out, lounging, or traveling — SO comfy and flattering)
- 1 pair Booty by Brabants leggings (also v comfy)
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 Lululemon sports bras
- 1 pair denim shorts (mine are from Billabong)
- 2 flowy tank (mine are from American Eagle and Urban Outfitters)
- 1 graphic tank (mine is from Spiritual Gangster)
- 1 sundress (mine is from Aritizia)
- 1 workout tank, doubles as going out tank (mine is from Free People)
- 2 bralettes (1 from Urban Outfitters, one from Lively — use AMB-nancylinchen for $10 off your 1st order!)
- 5 pairs of underwear (mix of Aerie, Happy Socks, Calvin Klein — better be safe than sorry!)
- 1 pair of lounge/sleep shorts (min are from Soffe)
- 1 lounge/sleep tank (mine is from H&M)
- 1 pair sunglasses (mine are from Ray Banz)
- Laptop + charger, phone charger
- Bose headphones
- Books, journal + pens
- Beautycounter Tint Skin Foundation
- Beautycounter Concealer
- Beautycounter Lip Gloss
- Piperwai Deodorant
- Farmaesthetics Fine Herbal Cleanser
- Perfume (I got it in Paris at a perfume factory before my freshman year of college)
- Yarok Hair Serum
- Maria Ackerberg AHA & Jojoba Peeling Scrub (so important for me to have an exfoliant when I travel to unclog my pores!)
- Maria Ackerberg Tan in a Bottle (I use this in place of a moisturizer since this is travel-sized)
- Rahua Dry Shampoo (major key — I don't like washing my hair more than 3x a week)
- Rahua Shampoo + Conditioner
- Eyedrops (my eyes get SO dry when I travel)
- Silverfern Multivitamin + Probiotics
- Contact Lenses
- Toothbrush + Toothpaste
OK, so I'm actually gonna hold off on the actual deets of the retreat, but you do get to see the highlights of Austin!
The morning of our second day, we got up early for a workout at the Onnit Academy Gym. I walked in to see a huge poster of Joe Rogan and gorilla kettlebells, and I was like oh hey.
We got to test out full use of their facilities — my workout is below + this FAB iced cold brew latte from their cafe (cold brew, almond milk, WAC [walnut almond cashew] butter, super shroom blend, MCT oil). The latte was perfect for holding me over until we made our Whole Foods pit stop to make breakfast.
my full body workout @ onnit
5x10 KB swings
6x10 KB 1 arm presses/side
7x4 pistol squats/side (use a KB for an extra challenge!)
8x6 1arm KB lat rows/side
9x6 KB leadlifts
10x6 sumo squats
8x6 1 arm KB swings
6x4 arm extension each side to pushup
4x6 plank walks
2x2 30 sec planks
I was feeling SUPER tight from all the sitting/traveling I've been doing, and just craved some yoga in my life. So glad that Austin has a Corepower that's right next to Whole Foods (only ~15 minutes away from our Airbnb!). I headed in for a midday C2 class, and it was much needed. I stopped by Whole Foods for a pack of watermelon and some local kombucha before showering and meeting up with the rest of the group for lunch.
I knew what I wanted for my main dish as soon as I looked at the menu. I got the harvest hash — it was full of roasted veggies and a perfect Vital Farms poached egg. A lot of the people in our group got salmon and chicken, which was meh from the sounds of it, but Kelly loved her pulled duck chile relleno and I was thrilled with my breakfast-for-lunch dish as well.
Homemade Burrito Bowls
We were SO lucky to have Kelly (from Kelly's Clean Kitchen) cook for us this whole weekend; we had BYO bowls, her famous (and secret-recipe) cheeseburger pie, and these DIY burrito bowls. I could've eaten the meat and guac with a spoonful by itself, but this bowl was lit.
P.S. She also made her Paleo BBQ sauce, which I also ate on everything. I don't even like BBQ sauce, but I frickin' loved this one.
Vegan ice cream? Heck yeah. Sweet Ritual had a ton of toppings and a ton of flavors. I got the chocolate olive oil and salted caramel with toasted coconut and lavender syrup. The perfect end to a day (though you can bet I hydrated a ton after this b/c sugar).
The Last Brunch
After a lovely morning yoga flow led by Kayleigh, Kelly whipped up a last meal for us — a fabulous brunch. Scrambled Vital Farms eggs, sautéed spinach and mushrooms, crispy bacon, roasted sweet potatoes, and of course, avocado.
We stopped here for lunch after our last day — it's a classic "diner-style" restaurant, but upgraded. They have a gluten-free menu, and their burgers sounded awesome. I opted for a salad with some pulled chicken, though, and it was light but filling.
I've heard great things about Snap Kitchen for grab-and-go food; I was going to grab dinner here but did a "picnic-style" dinner in my hotel room instead (aka Simple Mills crackers, avocado, prosciutto, blueberries while drinking boxed wine in my bathrobe and watching Fixer Upper #noshame).
Shopping: Lululemon, Anthropologie, Free People, Outdoor Voices
The great thing about the 24 Diner/Whole Foods area is that there's a ton of shopping nearby. So if you're energized, fed, and ready to spend some $, these are all within close proximity.
Yes, the #basicbeyatch in me loves a good Soul class. I didn't go when I was in Austin, but I've been to the ones in Boston and I'd imagine these are just as good.
Black Swan Yoga
Black Swan Yoga is donation-based yoga, meaning you choose how much you pay. It's not your standard yoga class — each instructor is encouraged to make their class their own, which is awesome because yoga is interpreted differently by everyone.
For more workout places, check out Fitt City's Best Gyms in Austin.